Programming is one of the most desirable jobs. The workplace of an average programmer involves long-hour sitting surrounded by gadgets. Hence there are chances that they may develop certain health issues.
They need to stay healthy as a programmer. Moreover, it is observed that most of the programmers care about code than their health. There is a need to provide health tips for programmers. The overall quality of your life improves with good health.
That is why we are providing Top 10 Ways to Stay Healthy as a Programmer in 2020. Let us go through them one by one.
Water makes up 70% of our body weight. It is one of the key elements that help you stay hydrated. Hence it is essential for life.
Dehydration may cause muscle cramps, constant headache, light-headedness, sleepiness, dry eyes, and decreased urine. In long run, it may cause vision problems and kidney stones.
- Take a glass of water first thing in the morning.
- Drink water half an hour before and after meals at the workplace.
- Increased intake of spicy food naturally increases water intake.
AFK Periodic Breaks
Programmers need to be with computers all day long. It sucks them into a monotony. Further, they feel difficulty in performing mundane tasks and are unable to process conversations.
The monotonous work limits blood flow, causes body pain and obesity, increased risk of high blood pressure and bad body posture.
Hence it is critical to get periodic breaks and AFK (away from keyboard) time.
- Set a reminder to take at least a 5 minutes break every hour. Apps are available for it.
- Get lunch from out. Make sure you need to stand up and walk to get it.
- Staying hydrated will naturally lead to toilet breaks.
- Socialize with others. Make friends and get a chit-chat break.
Avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) causes pain, numbness, and tingling in the limbs. It occurs due to a pinched median nerve at the wrist. Some studies suggest computer-related work, constant use of a keyboard or a mouse may be the reason behind CTS.
- Maintain the neutral position of the wrist and hand a while using the keyboard and mouse.
- Don’t forget to take a break.
- Use an ergonomic keyboard and ergonomic mouse. It reduces fatigue and hand pain.
- Practice Median nerve gliding exercise.
Someone quoted “A Developer is an organism that turns coffee into code.”
Coffee stimulates the brain and helps you to stay alert. It is highly effective and increases productivity when taken in moderate levels.
But programmers become addicted to it. Too much of coffee causes insomnia, anxiety, and may promote migraines and high blood pressure.
- Limit coffee intake to 2-4 cups/day (400 mg)
- Keep a water bottle nearby
- Limit your Soft drink intake
Watch Out For Pain
Sitting for a long period causes back and neck pain. Over time, this becomes so severe that you will not be able to sit and work.
This may also lead to some severe issues like the weakening of your cartilages and sliding discs. Such scenarios will harm your body and you will not be able to work anymore.
- Do aerobic exercises
- Do stretches regularly
- Take diet sufficient in Vitamin D and calcium
Stress Management Technique
Computer stress is anxiety and nervousness experienced by programmers when their computers work in unexpected ways.
These issues include slow Internet, poor project management technique, and an unhealthy workplace. Such issues cause great mental stress to the programmers. They feel frustrated. In long run, it harms your body too.
- Exercise and Meditate
- Good internet access
- Reduce screen brightness
Develop a Healthy Diet
A healthy diet improves your body functions. Improved body function leads to a healthy brain. A healthy body and brain improve your productivity. Whereas an unhealthy diet may cause obesity, tooth decay, high blood pressure, and stress. Therefore, a healthy diet should be taken to stay healthy and to be productive in the workplace.
- Avoid junk food and alcohol
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Include fish oil, vitamin C, vitamin D as a supplement
- Stay hydrated.
- A ketogenic diet is also an option
This tip may feel so basic and obvious. But it is also one of the major things that most people avoid. It may seem basic but avoiding it may lead to very serious issues.
Programming gives you a sedentary lifestyle. There may not be time for physical activities. But exercise will keep the body active. And hence, programmers must look for alternative solutions.
- Start your day early and do exercise in the morning
- Pick up a sport like swimming, badminton, or tennis
- Do pushups, stretching, or take a short walk around the office
- Ride your bicycle to work
- For long-distance buy an electric bike
Maintain Good Posture
Programmers droop in front of their computer screens for a long time. This not only causes temporary pain but also leads to severe issues.
- Focus on straight posture throughout the day
- Purchase a posture-friendly chair.
- Get up and do stretches every half an hour.
- Do exercises such as forward fold, the cat-cow, or the high plank.
Sufficient sleep is the most important thing in the world. It is good for people of any profession. Programmers do neglect this point. This is due to the deadline for projects.
Naping at the workplace and skipping sleep leads to diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
- Balance your sleeping hours and awake hours
- Take 6-8 hours of night sleep
Hence we have given you a list of top 10 health tips for programmers. These include healthy food, exercise, hydration, stress management, and more.
Your current lifestyle may look convenient to you. But over time, it will take a toll on your mental and physical health. These tips will help you to stay healthy as a programmer. Stay Blessed!