Are you looking for the best grammar and spelling checker for writing? You want to write grammatically perfect articles, blog posts, or simply good social media posts. And so, you might be searching for a good grammar and spelling checker tool.
Well, we have got you covered. Let’s look at the pros and cons of the top 10 grammar and spelling checker Google Chrome extensions with ratings.
Google Rating: 4.7 (6.9 million users)
Grammarly is a writing assistant. It corrects grammar mistakes in your writing. It also gives comprehensive writing feedback for your content.
Grammarly has proofreading features. It checks for grammatical errors and spelling errors. One of the benefits is that it can be used for emails, social media updates, articles, blog posts, and book chapter drafts.
- Checks the content across the web with chrome extension
- It has a desktop app for Windows and Mac
- Also has iOS and Android app called Grammarly Keyboard
- Has a punctuation checker and grammar checker as an add-on
- The free online grammar checker version of Grammarly is available
- Grammarly Premium is the paid version.
- It improves English grammar, corrects run-on sentences, and checks the readability
- It also provides suggestions to enhance vocabulary and sentence structure and detects plagiarism
- Excellent user interface
- Powerful online spelling and grammar checker features
- Wonderful writing insights
- Grammarly Premium version is expensive
- No personal dictionary like Ginger
Google Rating: 4.5 (10000+ users)
In 2007, an Israeli startup developed Ginger for dyslexic people. This company established the spelling and grammar checker tool online.
Ginger Spellchecker offers free grammar and spells checking for your text. It provides premium online proofreading for your online content.
- Fastest with chrome extension and other extensions
- Available for advanced tools like Slack
- Provides apps for Windows and iOS
- Keyboard for Android
- Highlights grammatical errors and spelling errors in blue
- Ginger Premium offers more features such as subject-verb agreement
- Premium version translates tests into 60 languages, like German, Spanish, Yiddish, and more.
- Includes virtual writing tutor to improve English grammar
- Powerful free version
- Useful for non-English native speakers
- Personal dictionary
- Hovering over grammatical mistakes slows it
- Accuracy issues
Google Rating: 3.9 (88312 users)
A London-based software firm founded ProWritingAidin 2012. It acts as a virtual writing tutor for writers. It is a good grammar checker, and also a good personal writing coach.
- Integrates with MS Word/Outlook, Open Office, Google Docs, Final Draft, and Scrivener
- Desktop app for Mac and Windows
- Plugin for your browser, Word and Google Docs
- A browser extension for Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and Safari
- Most affordable spelling and grammar checker
- Relatively accurate
- Good features for self-editing
- Suits fiction writers
- Slower than Grammarly and Ginger
- User interface lags
- Mobile version unavailable
Google Rating: 3.0 (10000+ users)
LanguageTool is an Open Source application. It is powered by Open Source software. It is considered as one of the most unique online grammar checkers.
- Clean, Easy-to-Navigate Interface
- Accurate Grammar Checker
- Premium Plan Helps Ensure Concision
- Accessible Forum Available
- The free version of LanguageTool has limit of 20,000 characters per check
- The enterprise version has limit of 40,000 characters per check
- Strong Device Compatibility with LibreOffice, MS Word, Firefox, Chrome, Google Docs
- Offers different languages like Asturian, Belarusian, Breton and more
- Not the Most Sophisticated Grammar Checker
- No Plagiarism or Reporting Options
- No Human Review or Style Guide Listed
- Not All Devices Supported
Google Rating: 3.7 (63261 users)
Sapling is a famous web browser extension. It corrects your grammatical mistakes and typos. Also, it improves the quality of writing. Therefore, it is one of the most advanced and accurate grammarcheckers.
- Pay-to-use tool, but has a free Chrome extension
- Works on Gmail, Outlook, LinkedIn, and Google Documents
- Premium version offers to autocomplete emails and create drafts
- Has 3 subscription options namely free, pro and enterprise
- Free subscription includes Google Chrome, Google Documents, and Outlook extension
- Pro subscription charges $25 per month. It offers autocorrect, and advanced suggestions on vocabulary
- Enterprise subscription’s fee is not known yet but it is available for companies and/or teams
- Grammar checking
- Spell checking
- Auto suggestions
- Customized dictionary feature
- Google Chrome and Google Docs add-on support
- Google Slides add-on unavailable
Spell Check Plus
Google Rating: 2.8 (1000+ users)
SpellCheckPlus is one of the affordable and useful tools for non-native English speakers.
- Virtual writing tutor and grammar checker
- Content up to 2,000 characters at a time
- Scans text for redundant words, complicated language, and more
- Free software
- Easy handling
- Use via web-browser only
Google Rating: 2.0(8 million users)
Whitesmoke software company, set up in 2002, sells affordable online proofreading software for Mac and Windows.
- Checks spelling and grammar mistakes, punctuation mistakes, and more.
- Suits writers on a tight budget
- Compatible with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera
- Apps for iOS and Android available
- Easy to use
- Suitable for businesses
- User interface lags
- Slower than Ginger and Grammarly
Google Rating: 4.0 (1000+ users)
Hemingway Editor highlights passive voice instances in green, complex sentences in red, and adverbs in blue.
- You can decide what you want to fix or ignore
- Hover mouse over text for hints.
- Free web app and desktop app for Windows or Mac (paid version)
- Fiction and non-fiction writing
- Complements Grammarly and other tools
- Not a replacement for another grammar checker
- Fewer features than other grammar checkers
Google Rating: 1.0 (1000+ users)
GrammarChecker is an online spell-check tool. It analyses text for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and stylistic errors.
- Rewrites shorter pieces of text automatically
- Finds suitable synonyms, swaps words, and more
- You get SEO-friendly, plagiarism-free text
- Multiple languages like French, German, Spanish, and Arabic
- Free to use
- Simple interface.
- Only via a web browser.
Google Rating: 4.7 (10 million+ users)
It is an online translator, spelling, and grammar checking tool. Reverso-Softissimo developed it.
- Translates content into multiple languages such as German, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Hebrew, and more
- Works via a web browser
- Google Chrome plugin, Google Play and iPhone app
- It works offline
- Provides corrections, suggestions and more
- Has the information in an in-built dictionary
- Free of cost
- Word-count limit of 600 characters and so good for shorter pieces of writing
- Works like Ginger
- Easy to use mobile app
- Useful for non-English writers
- Fewer features
- Slower than others
Now you have a list of Top 10 Grammar and Spelling Checker Google Chrome Extensions with Ratings. It is up to you decide which one work best for you. Happy Writing!